16 Dec How can I use the bucket test to detect leaks?
The Bucket Test
- It is best to choose a couple days that are fairly dry and when the pool will not be in use.
- You will need any size bucket, a waterproof marker and tape.
- Fill bucket with water and place it on the deck next to the pool.
- Mark a line to indicate water level in the bucket. Now mark a line to indicate the water level in the pool (use tape on the pool liner).
- Run the pool for 24 hours and then check the water levels. Note any water loss.
- Remark the water level in the bucket and the pool.
- Now repeat the test for another 24 hours with the pool off. Again note any water loss.
- Check and record your findings. Water loss due to evaporation etc. should be equal in the bucket and the pool.
- If there is a greater loss of water when the system is ON then the leak is most likely in the return plumbing and/or in the equipment. If the loss is greater with the system OFF, the leak is most likely in the suction plumbing. If the loss is the same when ON or OFF, the leak is most likely in the pool liner or wall fixtures.
- This test is not an exact science and the results may be affected by many variables in and around your pool.
- NOTE: There is always the possibility that there are multiple leaks in the pool and equipment.